Winter Fuel Payment 2013

Winter Fuel Payment
As the cold weather begins to take hold, it is worth ensuring that you are receiving all of the benefits to which you are entitled. One such benefit is the Winter Fuel Payment. The payment, a minimum of £200, is available to help older people keep warm in winter.
Who is eligible?
For winter 2013/14 you must have been born before 5 July 1952 to qualify. This is the age at which a person would be come entitled to make a claim for Pension Credit. As the benefit is not means tested you can get it if you are still working or have other income. You will also need to be living in the UK throughout the week of 16-22 September 2013.
If you have received it in the past and your circumstances have not changed you do not need to do anything. It will be paid automatically. If your circumstances have changed, for example, a person who was entitled no longer lives in your property or a person has now become eligible, you should contact the Winter Fuel Payment helpline (details below).
If you have not received it in the past you may need to make a claim for it. However, if you are in receipt of your state pension or certain other benefits (listed below) you should receive the payment automatically:
• State Pension
• Employment and Support Allowance
• Income Support
• Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Pension Credit
• Attendance Allowance
• Bereavement Benefit
• Carer’s Allowance
• Disability Living Allowance
• Graduated Retirement Benefit
• Incapacity Benefit
• Industrial Injuries Benefits
• Severe Disablement Allowance
• War Pension
• Widow’s Benefit
You’ll need to make a claim for your Winter Fuel Payment if the following applies:
• you qualify, due to your age
• you’re not receiving any of the benefits
• you are getting Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Child Benefit only
You’ll need to claim if you have received a Winter Fuel Payment before but your circumstances have changed. For example you have stopped receiving any of the benefits above in ‘Who doesn’t need to claim’ or deferred your State Pension. You still need to claim even if your partner is already receiving a Winter Fuel Payment for your household.


You don’t qualify if throughout the week of 16-22 September 2013 you:
• Were in prison
• Were in hospital getting free treatment for 52 weeks
• Needed permission to enter the UK and didn’t qualify for help from the Department for Work and Pensions
• Lived in a care home for the previous 12 weeks or more and got Pension Credit, income-based Job Seekers Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

To make an application for the Winter Fuel Payment you must complete an application form which can be obtained by calling the Winter Fuel Payment Helpline on 0845 9 15 15 15.