What can I do?

Your existing tenancy agreement makes you responsible to pay your rent, even if Housing Benefit has previously paid the rent in full.  Your options are:

1. Stay and pay

  • The bedroom tax will mean that some households who have to start making regular payments themselves for the first time in April 2013. Other households who have been awarded housing benefit to pay part of the rent will need to increase their rent payments.
  • Some vulnerable households with housing benefit reduced by bedroom tax will be able to apply to their local council for a Discretionary Housing Payment, although this is not expected to be a long-term arrangement.
  • If you stay and if a bedroom is available you may consider taking in a lodger to help meet costs, however we advise caution as there are many factors to take into account.

2. Move

  • The bedroom tax does not affect your right to occupy your tenancy. If however, the increased cost means you cannot afford to stay and pay you may consider looking for a property with fewer bedrooms.  For more information visit the Looking for a home section of this website or contact Two Castles.   www.twocastles.org.uk/looking-for-a-home

If you are in financial difficulty, don’t wait for the bedroom tax. Seek specialist advice, available free across our area for example at Citizens Advice Bureaux. If you feel that you are going to have problems paying your rent contact your Housing Officer.

Make sure that you have access to a bank account that meets your needs at a time when managing your money is ever more important.

If your question about Housing Benefit is not answered here, you can contact your local council that is responsible for Housing Benefit.

Most importantly, you need to know whether you will be affected. Please follow the link to the bedroom tax calculator, in the How much could I lose? section.