How do I report an incident?

Two Castles understands how much stress can be caused by anti-social behaviour (ASB) and in this situation we want to make reporting incidents as easy as possible.

We can become involved in cases when:

  • One of our tenants is experiencing problems
  • One of our tenants, or their visitor, is causing the problem
  • A tenant, resident or visitor (including children) to one of our properties has been charged/convicted of an arrestable offence committed at the property or in the local area.

You can report antisocial behaviour to the Association by telephone, in writing, through local offices, by email or by clicking here and completing the complaint form.

What will Two Castles Housing Association do:

  • Deal with your complaint as quickly as possible.
  • Keep you informed of progress until your complaint has been closed
  • Contact the alleged perpetrator, if you have given permission
  • Aim to resolve the situation without taking enforcement action, however if all preventative tools have been exhausted and the ASB persists we will start legal proceedings
  • Work with other agencies (e.g. police, environmental health) to try and resolve the problem
  • Take a victim centred approach and offer support throughout the process

Any acts of violence or threats of violence must be reported to the police

Anti-social behaviour – what should I do if I have a problem with a neighbour?
If this is the first time you’ve experienced a nuisance problem with your neighbour, it may be best to do nothing. If they’re having a party or doing some DIY, a bit of tolerance on your part may be the best thing to sort out the problem. If the problem continues, and you feel it’s safe to do so, try talking to your neighbour and explain what the problem is as they may not realise they are causing you any disturbance.

Here are some tips, which you may find useful to approach your neighbour:

  • Don’t leave it until you are really angry, or things get out of hand
  • Don’t lose your temper or use aggressive body language
  • Do talk to the person face to face when they are on their own
  • Do work out beforehand what your going to say
  • Do be calm and speak quietly and slowly
  • Do be prepared to listen to their side of the story and don’t interrupt
  • Do leave straightaway if they become aggressive or threatening. If this happens you should report the problem

If this doesn’t work please contact us immediately.

Hate crime, harassment and domestic abuse
If you feel you are experiencing any problems with hate crime, harassment and domestic abuse, please contact us for advice and guidance. Depending on the case, we may advise that other agencies need to be involved and the reasons why.

Domestic abuse
If you are experiencing domestic abuse, please contact us for help and advice.

What happens after making a report
Once we receive your complaint we will log it and begin our investigation. In some cases we will give you ‘incident diary sheets’ to complete.

Incident diary sheets are very important because they help us to decide how best to proceed with your complaint and they act as evidence. If we don’t receive properly completed diary sheets, we will not be able to continue with the investigation through lack of evidence.

Here are some tips on how to keep diary sheets:

  • Write clearly and accurately, we need to be able to understand exactly what happened
  • When: include the date and exact time the incident started and ended
  • Where: let us know the location of the incident
  • What: give us full details of what happened
  • Who: give us details of who was responsible, where they live, if you don’t know them describe them
  • How: did the incident affect you?
  • Who: witnessed the incident
  • Details: of any police officers who attended and crime numbers
  • Stick to the facts

It helps if we have detailed evidence of times, dates and names of perpetrators (if possible), so we would urge you to keep a diary of all incidents of anti-social behaviour you witness.

We will treat all information provided in the strictest of confidence.

We will get your permission before contacting the alleged perpetrator, however in some circumstances we may be under a duty to act. 

What type of enforcement action can you take?
Depending on the nature of the complaint we will determine the type of action that we will take. The options that are available to us are as follows:

  • Mediation – used where there is a dispute between neighbours. Mediation is there to bring both parties together in the presence of an independent professional mediator. Mediation requires consent from both parties and a willingness to resolve the dispute
  • Verbal/Written warnings – we will warn tenants that their actions are unacceptable and warn them regarding their future behaviour, which could lead to legal action
  • Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABC) – these are usually used to stop ASB caused from young people aged 10-18. If the child is aged under 10 years we use Parental Control Agreements (PCA), which are similar to ABCs
  • Injunctions – are an order from the court, they are used to make someone do something or stop them from doing something. An injunction can be used to make a tenant comply with their tenancy conditions. They can only be used on people over the age of 18. If they are breached this could result in imprisonment
  • Demotion- An order from the court, which has the effect of converting an assured tenancy into a ‘demoted assured tenancy’or a secure tenancy into a ‘demoted secure tenancy’, which have fewer rights. The order lasts for one year, after which it reverts back to an assured tenancy or a secure if no action is taken. We can apply for possession within a year of the demoted order if ASB continues
  • Possession proceedings – Used as a last resort and can lead to eviction. To do this we have to prove that the tenant has broken their tenancy conditions and that it is reasonable to evict them. To start possession proceedings we have to serve a notice, which differs depending on the type of tenancy. The court in some cases may grant a ‘Postponed Possession Order’, which means the tenant can stay in their home so long as they do not cause anymore ASB

Why may an ASB complaint be closed?
There are a number of reasons why a case could be closed:

  • We have resolved the complaint
  • There have been no new reports reported for the past 12 weeks
  • There is not sufficient evidence to substantiate your complaint and all options have been exhausted
  • You request that you do not wish us to pursue the case

If the complaint has been closed, we will:

  • Explain in writing our reasons for closing the complaint
  • Give you advice on what to do next.
  • Consider re-opening the case if there are further incidents

Other useful numbers

If you would like to report information about a crime anonymously, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Emergency services
Remember, if you need immediate assistance call 101

Victim support
Call their national helpline service on 0808 168 9111

Domestic violence and abuse
24 hr National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247 (free phone)