Report an incident

As part of a community, most people are considerate towards their neighbours, but neighbourhood disputes do arise. They often start over a small issue, but can quickly grow into a serious problem if not dealt with effectively and, in some cases, people’s health and welfare can begin to suffer.

Two Castles Housing Association is here to help and will work with you and your neighbours, together with other parties, to attempt to resolve disputes in a way that is acceptable to all.

We do not tolerate any activities which are either classed as nuisance or are criminal.

What is crime and nuisance?
Crime and nuisance can take different forms:

Anti-social behaviour
Anti-social behaviour (ASB) covers a wide range of unacceptable activity that can affect the quality of community life, including acts of nuisance, disorder and annoyance. Examples include:

  • Drug abuse and drug dealing
  • Damage to property
  • Groups of people causing annoyance
  • Fly tipping
  • Nuisance from pets (dogs barking, foul smells)
  • Noise nuisance

Hate crime and harassment
Hate crimes are motivated by an offender’s prejudice against a certain social group, including race, gender, age, disability, sexuality, culture or belief.

Harassment is a similar offence, but it is targeted, happens regularly and is an ongoing problem:

Forms of harassment and hate crime include:

  • Physical attacks
  • Threat of attack
  • Verbal abuse or insults

Domestic abuse
Domestic abuse can be physical, sexual, psychological or financial violence that takes place within an intimate or family-type relationship and forms a pattern of coercive and controlling behaviour. This can include forced marriage and so-called 'honour crimes'.

Domestic violence may include a range of abusive behaviours, not all of which are in themselves inherently 'violent'.

Household noise comes in many different forms - from loud music to shouting and swearing, do-it-yourself work to vehicle noise. It is therefore the most common type of nuisance, so residents should be considerate about the amount of noise they make, especially late at night (your tenancy agreement advises that there should be no audible noise from your property after 11pm)

If you find that your neighbours regularly disturb you, you can approach them politely about the situation.

If this fails, or you don't feel confident enough to approach your neighbour, contact your local office who will be able to help if the problem continues.

The Environmental Health Department at your local council may also be able to deal with excessive noise problems.