Carbon Monoxide Advice

What is Carbon Monoxide?


Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous. When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.

You can't see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning.

Two Castles are fitting all our properties that have heating systems that can emit CO with CO detectors. If you do not have one contact us and we will arrange to have one fitted.


If your Carbon Monoxide alarm goes off always assume it is working properly and do the following:

• Switch off the appliances and shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve- this is usually a handle on the gas meter.

• Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room / property and leave the property.

• Call Two Castles immediately on 0800 085 1171 free from a landline or 0300 123 1747 charged at a local rate from a mobile

Two Castles will:

• Confirm your contact telephone number to be used
• Call the National Gas Emergency Service (NGES) for you
• Call you back to advise when the NGES expects to be at your home (normally within 2 hours)

What will happen next?

• The NGES will usually attend within 2 hours and they will decide what action needs to be taken (the source of Carbon Monoxide is not always the heating system)

• You will need to let us know if we need to take any action that has been recommended by NGES

• We will arrange for any further investigation or remedial work that is required as quickly as possible.

• If a full investigation is required then we might have to help you find temporary accommodation (a full investigation can take up to 4 hours to complete)

If any member of your household feels unwell and believes they may have been exposed to Carbon Monoxide (CO) they MUST contact their GP or an A&E department and request a blood test for Carbon Monoxide.

Out of office working hours:

Two Castles Housing Association provides an emergency call out service, which deals with emergency repairs outside normal working hours. This operates from 5:00pm to 8.45am, Monday to Friday, 24 hours on a weekend and bank holidays.

If your Carbon Monoxide alarm goes off or you suspect a Carbon Monoxide leak when our offices are closed, you can contact us on 0845 543 6417. You should also:

• Switch off the appliances and shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve - this is usually a handle on the gas meter.

• Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room / property and leave the property.

• If any member of your household feels unwell and believes they may have been exposed to Carbon Monoxide (CO), they MUST contact their GP or an A&E department and request a blood test for Carbon Monoxide.

Further information

Documents

Carbon Monoxide Gas Safety Guide

Carbon Monoxide Gas Safety Guide

File type: PDF document
File size: 530 KB