Debt advice

Where can I get debt advice?
If you are in need of independent debt advice, you can contact a variety of organisations. However, we’d recommend the following as they are impartial and free of cost:

Citizens Advice Bureau
The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) is an independent organisation and a registered charity. It provides free, confidential and impartial advice to everybody in the community regardless of race, sex, disability, sexuality or nationality.

CAB acts as a one-stop-shop for clients. Advisors provide up-to-date advice and information using a unique electronic information system, link clients with other services and agencies, write letters and complete forms on behalf of clients.

The problems brought to the CAB by clients are varied, covering areas such as employment, debt, housing, benefits, consumer rights, legal matters and immigration. Advisors explain to clients their options and the possible outcomes of different courses of action, encouraging clients to make their own decisions and to act on their own behalf.

The service provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. It values diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination.

For any CAB debt advice appointment, it is vital that you take along evidence of all your income (e.g. wage slips, benefit letters, bank statements), which must be dated no more than one month from the date of your interview.

You must also take proof of expenditure including rent card, gas / electric bill, other bills. Unless you bring this proof of income and expenditure, you will not receive money advice from the CAB Money Advice Worker.

Other Debt Advice Organisations

National Debt Line

  • Contact number: 0808 808 4000
  • The National Debt Line can offer you over the phone advice on your finances. The service is government funded.

StepChange Debt Advice Charity